Thursday, April 26, 2012

The one about goodbye’s


It’s that time. My final post unless I decide to reuse this blog the next time I go on a world wind adventure. It is hard to write this blog. It’s possibly the hardest blog I have written thus far.  It’s hard to express through a simple blog post all the feelings and the elephant in the room that is truly felt everywhere. Not to mention I suck at writing these things down anyway. It reminds me a bit of camp, saying goodbyes as we all go our different ways back into the real world. As I pass my roommates, my classmates, the people that I have spent the past four months living and learning and growing with you can feel it in the air: the bittersweet.
I look back, four months ago, to the morning I left. I admit the nerves were getting the best of me. As we drove to the airport the emotions overwhelmed me and I am sure many of my classmates felt the same way. There was the fear of embarking on an adventure alone, the sadness of leaving family and friends behind and of course the excitement of going to ITALY and meeting new people. Eventually the excitement won out, but there were still so many what ifs.  Now it’s all about to be over. The questions were answered and now we have new questions like what have I missed for the past four months back in the States, but that’s not what this blog post is about…
I have met some truly amazing people on this trip. So many of my teachers are brilliant, and they are clearly so passionate about what they teach. It makes me want to have such passion for the subject I, one day, teach.  My Montessori students helped me grow in many ways. While preparing lessons for them wasn’t so different from the States, working with them was like nothing I have ever done before.  They taught us about the Italian culture while we taught them about the United States culture, and we truly had so much fun with them—laughing, dancing, writing and reading, listening and discussing, and learning…the ins and outs of one’s culture, the norms the taboos the common phrases—never did I think the American saying “you are going to throw a party” could cause so much confusion and excitement amongst teenage students…just think about it. But that sadly ended a week ago.
I will miss the Italians. They are a completely different kind of people here; in a good way. The hand gestures, the cheek kisses, the simple phrase of ciao ciao which I so often here as I am walking around Perugia. It will be weird, going back to a culture that is so different from what I have been in. The grocery stores will suddenly be giant no pun intended. The food will no longer be fresh, Italian cuisine. There will be lines, rudeness, less fashion, more fatness, servers up your butt when you are just trying to enjoy a good meal with friends and Dollars (which both are dirty and smell weird). But mostly, I will miss the Italian friendly hospitality feel—I won’t be able to jump in front of 50 people waiting in line at the airport because I am about to miss my flight (yes, this seriously happened…apparently if you ask you shall receive. “Scusa, ummm, stammer, we, flight, leave in dieci minuti…uhh…per favore” “Andiamo, Andiamo.” Translation—me stammering “can I go in front of you, my flight leaves in 10 minutes and I don’t want to miss it” in Italian/English and them saying “GO, GO” in a why are you even asking tone. But again, I am getting off track of this post. I am going to miss the Italian cultural way.
Lastly, I am going to miss my friends. They have been my family for the past four months. I have joked with these people, and taken stupid goofy pictures with them. I have argued with them, and been annoyed. I have travelled with them, experiencing new adventures and places for the first time. I have bonded with them, shared things with them, told stories about myself. Learned about their fears and goals, likes and dislikes, hates and loves, and what makes them tick. I have gotten under their skin, and they have gotten under mine. I have shared clothing and music.  I have studied with them, and watched movies. I have procrastinated with them. I have danced, and eaten lots of food. I have created inside jokes, cried, sang, with these people. We have bonded, both talking and listening. We have literally, laughed, loved, and LIVED. But sadly, the clothing and souvenirs are being packed away, the apartments are being swept, classes have ended and now so must study abroad. We all have heard it; all good things must come to an end. It’s true. These people have changed my life; I thank them for this semester they have given me for without them it wouldn’t have been so AMAZING AND UNFORGETTABLE.

To Perugia and my loves:  I will never forget you and the memories we made. Thank you. I love you.

Ciao for one last time, 
Arielle




No comments:

Post a Comment